Serves 4 to 6
This soup blends sweetness with an earthy flavor.
3 large beets, scrubbed, ends removed
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
2 apples (such as Granny Smith or Fuji), peeled, cored and diced
4 c. water
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
¼ c. fresh parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Place beets on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Roast in 400-degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until tender.
2) Remove beets and place under cold running water, gently pulling off skins. Chop beets into 1-inch pieces and set aside.
3) Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger and apple. Cook for two minutes.
4) Add beets and water to saucepan. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until apples and beets are tender, about 20 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in lemon juice, zest and parsley.
5) Purée soup using an immersion blender, regular blender or food processor. Garnish with a dollop of crème fraîche or Greek yogurt.